What is Biophilic Design?
Biophilic design is a design concept used to increase the ways those who use the space connect with the natural environment through the use of bringing nature inside in whatever way possible.
As humans we have an innate connection with nature. It’s not uncommon to feel better when surrounded by natural light, greenery and fresh air, actually, we very much need nature in order to function properly.
Essentially, it is used to improve the workspace and provide numerous benefits.
Why is it Important?
As our exposure to nature is declining as a result of urbanisation, there is ever growing pressure to connect more with nature and reap the benefits it provides our mental and physical health.
Research has shown that involving natural elements into designs can have great physical benefits such as reducing heart rates and blood pressure levels and mental benefits like reduced stress and anxiety.
What are the Benefits?
- Increased productivity, creativity and presenteeism
- Increased employee retention
- Noise absorbent
- Reduction of energy requirements in terms of lighting, ventilation and temperature regulation
- Calming, uplifting and anxiety reducing
How do we Implement Biophilic Design?
There are many ways that biophilic design elements can be introduced to your workspace.
Some key areas to consider are:
- Improved natural and artificial lighting
- Air quality, toxin levels and ventilation
- Internal and external views of nature
- Psychological and physiological effects of the space
- The addition of recuperation spaces